• 75g unsalted butter, diced
• 100g ham off the bone, very finely diced
• 1 leek, white part only,
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 75g plain flour
• 500ml milk, hot
• 1⁄2 tsp ground nutmeg
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 11⁄2 cups cooked potatoes, mashed
• 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan
• Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 2 cups panko breadcrumbs Micro herbs, to garnish
• Aioli and sweet mustard pickles, to serve
NOTE: Allow 15 minutes freezing time.
Line an oven tray with baking paper. Melt butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add ham. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until beginning to crisp. Add leek and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes or until softened.
Sprinkle plain flour over ham mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to stick to base of pan. Pour in milk and whisk until thickened. Whisk in nutmeg, then season. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then fold in potato and parmesan.
Using your hands, form mixture into 24 log-shaped croquettes, 7cm long and 3cm wide. Arrange on prepared tray and freeze for 15 minutes or until slightly firm.
Pour oil into a large deep saucepan until 5cm deep. Heat to 180°C on a cook’s thermometer, or until a cube of bread turns golden in 30 seconds. Dip logs in egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. Deep-fry croquettes, in batches, for 2-4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Garnish with micro herbs, then serve croquettes with aioli and pickles.