- 125g light margarine
- 60g (1/3 cup) brown sugar
- 80g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 60g egg
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 80g (1/2 cup) wholemeal plain flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 80g glace cherries, patted dry with paper towel, finely chopped
- Using electric beaters, beat the margarine and sugars in a medium bowl until well combined. Add the egg and vanilla bean paste. Beat until well combined.
- Add the flours, mixed spice, cinnamon and cherries to the mixture. Use a wooden spoon to mix until well combined. Divide the mixture into two and roll each into each into a 22cm (about 4cm wide) logs. Wrap each firmly in a double layer of plastic wrap. Place in the freezer until ready to use (at least 30 minutes, but up to 3 months).
- Preheat oven to 170℃ (fan-forced). Line two baking trays with baking paper. Cut the logs into 1cm-thick slices and place on the lined tray about 3cm apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
[cook’s tip] Keep the cookie dough in the freezer for up to 3 months. Once cooked, keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
For more delicious recipes, get your copy of Diabetic Living in store or buy online today.
Diabetic Living is a one-stop health information source for the 1.7 million Australians who have Type 1, pre-Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes. Backed by a team of medical experts, DL provides easy-to-understand health and exercise information along with delicious, dietician-approved recipes for everyone looking to lead a healthy life.