• 4 parsnips
• ¼ Kent pumpkin, deseeded, cut into wedges
• 4 small sweet potatoes, unpeeled, cut into discs
• 4 beetroot
• 2 red onions
• 1 bunch Dutch carrots
• 80ml extra virgin olive oil
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 6-8 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
• 2 tsp cinnamon
• 2 tsp cumin seeds
• 40ml red wine vinegar
• 1 handful flat-leaf parsley leaves
• 200g feta, crumbled
• ¹⁄³ cup smoked almonds, roughly chopped
• Extra extra virgin olive oil (optional), to serve
Cook's tips: Roasted winter vegetables with feta and smoked almonds. Always wear rubber gloves when handling beetroot to avoid staining your hands. Toss leftovers from this roast vegetable dish with rocket, a little mayonnaise and a drizzle of extra olive oil for a sensational salad the next day.
Preheat oven to 180°C and line 2 large oven trays with baking paper. Slice parsnips in half and cut out cores, then halve again. Arrange on 1 of the prepared trays with pumpkin wedges and sweet potato discs.
Scrub beetroot and trim ends, then slice into wedges. Leaving skin on, cut onions into 8 wedges. Trim carrots, leaving on 3cm of green tops, then arrange on second prepared tray with beetroot and onion.
Drizzle oil over vegetables on both trays and season. Sprinkle over thyme leaves, cinnamon and cumin seeds.
Roast vegetables for 40 minutes. Remove pumpkin mixture from oven and drizzle over ½ of the red wine vinegar. Set aside to rest. Continue roasting beetroot mixture for a further 15 minutes, then drizzle over remaining vinegar.
Arrange vegetables on a serving platter, then scatter over parsley, feta and almond. Drizzle over a little extra oil, if desired. Season and serve.