Which eggs for when?
• Super fresh are best for poached eggs and fried eggs.
• A few days old are best for boiled eggs
• Slightly older but still in-date are just right for frittatas or scrambled eggs.
How to test...
The easiest way to check the freshness of an egg is by putting it in a bowl of water. If it floats, it indicates there is a large air bubble inside your egg, meaning it is too old. If it hangs out mid-way, it’s a few days old, and if it sinks to the bottom, it is super fresh.
Perfect boiled eggs
Preparation time: nil
Cooking time: 10 mins
• 4 eggs
Step 1 Put eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Set over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low so water is just simmering.
• For soft yolk, boil for 2 minutes
• For medium yolk, boil for 3 minutes
• For hard-boiled yolk, boil for 7 minutes
Step 2 Once eggs are cooked to your liking, use a slotted spoon to remove them from pan. Serve in eggcups immediately or peel.
• To peel, transfer to a bowl of cold water. Leave eggs in water until just cool enough to handle. Tap side of egg with the back of a spoon to crack shell. Using your fingers, peel away shell. Rinse peeled egg under running water to remove any excess tiny pieces of shell. Serve.