The perfect chip is perhaps one of cooking's greatest challenges: deliciously crunchy on the outside and beautifully fluffy on the inside.
But the key to the perfect chip is not as elusive as it sounds.
According to Greatist, it's all about finessing your technique and a few simple tricks.
Follow these 8 steps and you'll be well on your way to achieving French fry greatness.
1. Only use Russet potatoes. Steer clear of waxy potatoes.
2. Slice your potatoes to ¼ inch thick (or 0.6cm).
3. Pat them completely dry with paper towels then toss lightly with cornstarch to maximize crispiness.
4. Toss fries in a thin layer of fat. Use one to two tablespoons of olive oil per 500g.
5. Spread the fries evenly on an oven tray, ensuring they don’t overlap.
6. Make sure you’ve got a hot oven at 230 degrees celcius or 450 Fahrenheit.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes and flip them half-way through.
8. Eat them soon after cooking before they lose their crunch.
RELATED: Best fish and chips
RELATED: 7 steps to perfect steak