Chicken, Asparagus & Mushroom Flatbread
Prep: 30 minutes
Bake: 15 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- 1 Tbsp cornmeal
- 2 cups plain flower
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 80g butter
- ¾ cup cold water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup 5cm pieces thin asparagus
- 1 cup shredded cooked or barbecue chicken
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley coriander or basil
- 1 Tbsp Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella and/or Swiss cheese (170g)
- Preheat oven to 260°C. Line a large baking sheet with foil, sprinkle with cornmeal. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Add water and stir with a fork until combined. Knead dough a few times until smooth.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface roll each dough portion into a 36 x 13cm oval. Arrange dough ovals on the prepared tray. Brush each with 1½ tsp oil. Bake for 10 minutes or until flatbreads are light brown.
- Meanwhile, for topping, in a 25cm frying pan heat the remaining 2 Tbsp oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms and onion. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Add asparagus. Cook stirring for another 3 minutes or just until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in chicken, parsley, mustard, and thyme.
- Spread topping over flatbreads. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes more or until cheese melts. Serve warm.