Creamy Chicken & Asparagus Braise
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Serves 2 (as a main)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 150g skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
- 10 medium asparagus spears, woody ends trimmed, each cut into 3
- 1 large leek, thickly sliced, washed, dried
- 3 celery sticks, sliced
- 200ml salt-reduced vegetable stock or gluten free vegetable stock
- 150g (1 cup) frozen peas
- 1 egg yolk (from 60g egg)
- 4 Tbsp low-fat natural yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/3 bunch tarragon, leaves chopped
- 200g small Carisma potatoes, halved or quartered, steamed, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 4 minutes each side or until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan. Place on a plate, cover with foil and set aside.
- Add the asparagus (reserving the tips), leek, celery and stock to the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are almost tender. Add the asparagus tips and peas, and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolk with the yoghurt and garlic.
- Stir the yogurt mixture into the vegetables with the tarragon. Return the chicken to the pan to heat through. Serve with the potatoes.
PER SERVE 1930kJ, protein 49g, total fat 15g (sat. fat 3g), carbs 26g, fibre 11g, sodium 410mg • Carb exchanges 1 1/2 • GI estimate low• Gluten-free option • Lower carb
Asparagus is richer in heart-friendly folate than broccoli, and supplies chromium, which helps balance our blood sugar levels. Peas are a useful source of iron and fibre, including soluble fibre, which helps regulate cholesterol levels.
For more delicious, easy and healthy recipes, get your issue of Diabetic Living today!
Diabetic Living is a one-stop health information source for the 1.7 million Australians who have Type 1, pre-Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes. Backed by a team of medical experts, DL provides easy-to-understand health and exercise information along with delicious, dietician-approved recipes for everyone looking to lead a healthy life.