We love these yummy sticks of old-fashioned gingerbread, with sweet lemon icing and a dusting of icing sugar. And they're so easy to make in our non-stick Waffle Stick Pans!
Lemon Gingerbread Sticks
Makes 12, Prep and Cook 27 mins
- Melted butter, for greasing
- 125g butter, softened
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 1 ¾ cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- icing sugar mixture, to dust
- ¾ cup icing sugar mixture
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice, approximately
- Grease two waffle stick trays with melted butter.
- Beat butter, sugar and syrup in medium bowl with an electric mixer until pale and creamy.
- Stir in combined sifted flour, ginger and soda. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly until smooth. Cut dough in half, then cut each half into 6 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 15cm length. Place into hollows in greased trays and press in evenly.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 12 – 14 minutes or until waffle sticks golden brown and just firm when lightly touched with fingertips. Cool in pan 3 minutes. Loosen edges with a small spatula. Turn out sticks.
- To make icing, sift icing sugar into a bowl. Stir in enough lemon juice to form a smooth, thick icing. Transfer icing to a snap-lock sandwich bag. Squeeze icing into one corner. Snip tip. Pipe icing into waffle stick hollows. Place on wire racks to set. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
Gingerbread sticks will keep for up to two weeks in an airtight container.
Love this idea? Our gingerbread sticks aren't the only treat you can make in our Waffle Stick Pans. From traditional bread fingers to energy and chocolate bars - the options are endless! Order your waffle tin now and show us your creations!