• 4 Tbsp olive oil
• 1kg chuck beef, diced into 2cm pieces
• 1 brown onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
• 1 red capsicum, roughly chopped
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 2 tsp sweet paprika
• 2 Tbsp tomato paste
• 810g can whole peeled tomatoes
• 250ml beef stock
• 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
• Steamed basmati rice, to serve
• Coriander leaves, to serve
• Sliced avocado, to serve
• Sour cream, to serve
Heat ½ of the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add ½ of the beef and brown, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
Add onion, garlic, celery and capsicum to the same pan and cook for 10 minutes or until onion is just soft. Add cumin, cinnamon, paprika and tomato paste, then cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer. Return beef to pan and stir. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 hours or until meat is very tender and liquid has thickened. Stir in beans. Cook for a further 15 minutes.
Serve chilli con carne with rice, coriander, avocado and sour cream.