• 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 brown onion, finely diced
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 700ml tomato passata
• 2 Tbsp tomato paste
• 5 basil leaves, roughly torn, plus extra, to serve
• Sea-salt akes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 4 cooked schnitzels (click here for step-by-step schnitzel recipe)
• 4 balls bocconcini, thickly sliced
To make sauce, heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in passata, tomato paste and basil. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Season.
Preheat oven grill to 250°C. Spoon 3⁄4 of the sauce into a large frying pan or roasting pan. Arrange schnitzels in sauce. Spoon remaining sauce over the top, then layer with bocconcini. Cook for 10 minutes or until cheese has melted and schnitzels are golden. Season with pepper and serve topped with the extra basil.