• 1.8kg boneless pork shoulder, rind on, rolled and tied
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 6 spring onion bulbs, trimmed, halved lengthways
• 1 bunch Dutch carrots, peeled
• 2 cloves garlic, smashed
• 1 bay leaf
• 600ml alcoholic apple cider
• 250ml chicken stock
• 4 sage leaves
• 400g desiree potatoes, unpeeled, diced into 2cm pieces
• 2 red apples, cored and cut into wedges
• Steamed green beans, to serve
Season pork with salt and pepper. Heat ½ of the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat and cook pork, turning occasionally, for 8 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate.
Heat remaining oil in same pan. Add onion, carrot, garlic and bay leaf and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
Add cider and stock to pan. Scatter in sage, potato and apple and bring
to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Sit pork on top and cook, covered, for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Serve sliced pork with vegetables and steamed green beans on the side.