1. Hibiscus will happily grace a garden of any style, including formal. Just train into a standard, plant in a large pot and wait for the flowers to shine.
2. Put on a show of colour in your backyard with these bright beauties – the fiery red and orange combo will be a hit!
3. The unusual, delicate blooms of Hibiscus schizopetalus hang elegantly from slender, drooping branches.
4. Soft yellow flowers are often outshone, but not this single hibiscus flower. Its mellow tones are punctuated by a crimson-red centre.
5. With twice the blooms there’s twice the flamboyance with this dazzling double- flowering hybrid stunner.
6. Big, showy petals, a deep colourful throat and long staminal column are the key identifying features of hibiscus. These characteristics encourage pollinators, such as small insects and birds, to search deep in the flower for the sweet nectar and at the same time, help transfer pollen to the stigma.
7. For a feature plant that will really turn heads, look no further than the coral hibiscus (H. schizopetalus). Its pretty parachute-like blooms will light up your landscape in glorious shades of red or pink.
8. Less commonly seen are the cool-tolerant hibiscus, such as H. moscheutos (or rose mallow), native to North America. This striking variety bears single blooms on a deciduous plant.
9. Plant these tropical gems and you’ll be rewarded with blooms that burst onto the scene in spring and flower right into the cooler months of the year. You won’t be disappointed!
With so many vivid shades and forms to choose from, which one (or two!) will you go for?