• 5 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
• 5cm piece ginger, grated
• 2 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
• 1⁄4 cup roasted peanuts, very finely chopped
• 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
• 1⁄4 cup oyster sauce
• 2 Tbsp fish sauce
• 2 tsp sesame oil
• 750g small squid, cleaned, tentacles attached
• 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
• 1⁄2 bunch green shallots, cut into 5cm lengths
• Toasted coconut, to serve
• Lime wedges, to serve
Put garlic, chilli, ginger, lime leaf and peanut in a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside. Combine sauces and sesame oil in a separate bowl and set aside.
Cut squid hoods open, reserving tentacles.
Score inside of hoods in a fine cross-hatch pattern.
Preheat barbecue hotplate to medium-high. Cut squid into long strips and put in a bowl. Add vegetable oil and toss to coat. Add squid to barbecue and cook until it starts to curl, then add shallot and cook for a further 1 minute. Add garlic mixture, stir and cook for another minute or until very aromatic.
Pour sauce mixture over squid and cook for a further 1 minute. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and serve with lime wedges on the side.