However, it turns out one state has more home burglaries than any other.
Budget Direct reports that in 2017 the Northern Territory had the highest percentage of break-ins versus population, at 5% of households experiencing a burglary. However, if we go by numbers, another state tops the charts.
- VIC had 65,200 burglaries (2.8% of the population)
- NSW had 57,700 burglaries (2% pf the population)
- WA had 41,700 burglaries (4.3% of the population)
- QLD had 37,000 burglaries (2% of the population)
- SA had 13,200 burglaries (1.9% of the population)
- TAS had 4,200 burglaries (2% of the population)
- ACT had 3,700 burglaries (2.5% of the population)
- NT had 3,200 burglaries (5% of the population)
However, with that in mind, NSW actually saw 25.5 per cent of all Burglaries that took place in Australia in 2017, Victoria saw 28.9 per cent of all burglaries in Australia and Western Australia saw 18.5 per cent of all burglaries in Australia.
So, what does this all mean?
It means that although the Northern Territory had the most break-ins compared to their population, Victoria takes the crown as the worst state for home burglaries as the state saw the highest percentage of all burglaries in Australia, as well as being the state with the highest number of home burglaries in Australia.
So if you live in Victoria, you may want to double check your home security this holiday season.