- Avocados aren’t a fruit – they’re actually a really big berry.
- Despite looking nothing like pears nor alligators, this green berry used to be called an ‘alligator pear’.
- An avocado has more potassium than a banana, 975mg in fact, while bananas have just 487mg of potassium.
- According to the Guinness World Records, the largest avocado ever recorded was 2.5kg.
- Avocado has some of the highest levels of protein available from a fruit, around four grams.
- As they grow in pairs on the tree, the avocado was an Aztec symbol of love and fertility.
- A very random study by Hass Avocado Board discovered that married people buy more avocados than single people, making up around 72% of all avo purchases.
- Every part of the avocado is edible, including the pit and peel, but whether you would enjoy it or not is a different question.
Looking for a fresh new way to get a dose of avocado? Try this avocado rice-paper wrap.