Caramel Pretzel Slice
Salty and crunchy, sweet and gooey, all on a beautifully crumbly base – with this sweet treat the slice is always right!
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Makes: about 18 pieces
- Cooking oil spray, to grease
- 1½ cups plain flour
- 375g unsalted butter, softened, finely diced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 300g double cream
- 150g small pretzels, broken into pieces
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 27 x 17cm slice tin with cooking oil spray and line base and sides with baking paper. Put flour and 125g of the butter in a bowl and rub
with fingertips until crumbly. Add yolk and ¼ cup of the brown sugar and mix until combined. Press into tin, then bake for 20 minutes or until just golden.
- Meanwhile, mix honey and remaining butter and sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook over
a medium heat for 5 minutes or until foamy. Add cream and cook for 10 minutes or until a soft ball forms when a drop of the mixture is added to cold water.
- Stir pretzel pieces into caramel, then spread over baked base and bake for 15 minutes or until bubbling. Set aside to cool slightly, then cut into even rectangles to serve.
For more delicious recipes, pick up your copy of Family Feasts with Fast Ed in select newsagents and supermarkets or buy online here today!