Slow-cooker Chicken with Peanuts
PREP 30 mins
COOK 4 hours (on high) or 8 hours (on low)
- 8 whole chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 tsp ground black peppercorns
- 4 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger, skin on, finely grated
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 tsp dried chilli flakes, to taste
- 2 Tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 200g peanut butter (look for one with no added sugar)
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 50g roasted salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Season the chicken with salt and the ground black pepper and heat the slow cooker to high or low, depending on desired cooking time.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then fry the ginger, onion and chilli flakes for 10 minutes, until soft but not coloured. Add the chicken, tomato purée and spices, and cook for 5 minutes, mixing well to coat.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and bring to the boil, then tip the contents of the pan into the slow cooker along with the peanut butter, 500ml of boiling water and a little seasoning. Mix well and cover. Cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low, until the chicken is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- To serve, scatter over the chilli, peanuts and coriander, and serve with steamed rice.
For more delicious recipes for cold weather, pick up a copy of Family Circle Winter in selected supermarkets and newsagents or buy online here today.