Winter is here! It’s time to snuggle up and get crafty at home with Family Circle Winter. Inside this issue, you’ll find fabulous recipes for cold weather, from plenty of hearty, slow cooked meals, the best ever lasagne and delicious warming deserts! Plus, we’ve got 157 ideas for you to cook, make and do when it’s cold outside, including 26 pages of cool craft! All of this and more inside Family Circle Winter, on sale now!
Slow-cooker Chicken with Peanuts
PREP 30 mins
COOK 4 hours (on high) or 8 hours (on low)
- 8 whole chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 tsp ground black peppercorns
- 4 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger, skin on, finely grated
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 tsp dried chilli flakes, to taste
- 2 Tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 200g peanut butter (look for one with no added sugar)
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 50g roasted salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Season the chicken with salt and the ground black pepper and heat the slow cooker to high or low, depending on desired cooking time.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then fry the ginger, onion and chilli flakes for 10 minutes, until soft but not coloured. Add the chicken, tomato purée and spices, and cook for 5 minutes, mixing well to coat.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and bring to the boil, then tip the contents of the pan into the slow cooker along with the peanut butter, 500ml of boiling water and a little seasoning. Mix well and cover. Cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low, until the chicken is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- To serve, scatter over the chilli, peanuts and coriander, and serve with steamed rice.
For more delicious recipes for cold weather, pick up a copy of Family Circle Winter in selected supermarkets and newsagents or buy online here today.