• 8 thick English pork sausages
• 2 brown onions, finely sliced
• 1 tsp brown sugar
• 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
• ½ cup plain flour
• 1 egg
• 75ml skim milk
• 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• ¼ bunch sage leaves, chopped
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• Mashed potato, Port Gravy and Mushy Peas to serve
Preheat oven to 220°C. Put sausages and onion in a 25cm roasting pan. Sprinkle with sugar and drizzle with oil. Bake for 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make batter, put flour, egg, milk, Worcestershire sauce and sage in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Put roasting pan over a medium heat. Remove sausage mixture and set aside. When residual oil in pan is very hot and shimmering, pour in ½ the batter. Arrange sausage mixture on top, then pour over remaining batter. Return to oven and bake for a further 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with potato, peas and gravy on the side.