If you're new to knitting, these mittens by Tin Can Knits are a great place to start. The pattern is easy to follow. They even have a tutorial with step-by-step images and instructions.
A simple yet stylish pattern from Purl Soho, this beanie is knitted in rib stitch and will warm your head all winter.
Inspired by colourful macarons, this easy baby jumper by The Noble Thread is knitted using a garter stitch. Each side is knitted in one piece and then seamed together.
A family who wears knitted beanies together stays together.
A quick and easy knit no matter what your skill level is.
The name says it all. If you're ready to move on from hats and scarves, this cardigan knitting pattern by Zabeth is for you.
For beginner knitters, this free scarf knitting pattern by Fifty Four Ten Studio will keep you warm and cosy.
This oversize cardigan by Paintbox Yarns is made using a fun bubble stitch. Thanks to the recommended Paintbox chunky yarn, it knits quickly and is available in many shades.
This Big Stitch Throw by Heather Lodinsky uses 25 mm needles and super chunky yarn, so you can expect this to be a quick knit.
Add a pop of colour to your kitchen or bathroom with this absorbent cotton hand towel from Purl Soho.
The basic chunky socks knitting pattern by Caroline Montague is a simple and cosy design that's perfect for keeping your feet warm and toasty during the colder months.
A comfortable and versatile sweater by Yarnspirations Design Studio that's perfect for everyday wear.
Read our article on free sweater knitting patterns.
The cute bear motif in this blanket by Yarnspirations Design Studio will surely delight the little ones on a cold night.
A chunky scarf with a twist. The lacy scarf by Sheep and Stitch that's perfect for dressing up any outfit while keeping you nice and warm. There's also a YouTube tutorial to go with this pattern.
This simple yet comfortable knitting pattern by Tabitha Gandee is perfect for keeping your little one's feet warm.
This washcloth pattern shaped like a tiny house by Purl Soho would make a charming addition to any home.
How do you get knitting patterns for free on Ravelry?
You can create filters to find the right pattern when searching for knitting patterns in Ravelry. Select the free filter so the search results reflect that. Once you've chosen a pattern, click the link in the pattern article, and your pattern will automatically download.
What is the best site for free knitting patterns?
There are several great websites where you can find free knitting patterns. Here are five options to help you get started:
- Yarnspiration: Yarnspiration is a website that offers a wide range of knitting patterns for free. They have a diverse collection of patterns suited for different skill levels and project types.
- Lion Brand: Lion Brand is a well-known yarn company that also provides free knitting patterns on their website. They offer a variety of patterns for various projects, from hats and scarves to blankets and sweaters.
- Ravelry: Ravelry is a popular online community for knitters and crocheters. In addition to being a platform to connect with other crafters, Ravelry hosts a vast collection of free knitting patterns contributed by its members.
- Wool and the Gang: Wool and the Gang is a brand that specializes in sustainable and eco-friendly yarn. They offer a selection of stylish knitting patterns on their website, which you can download for free.
- Vogue Knitting: Vogue Knitting is a renowned knitting magazine that features both paid and free patterns on their website. They showcase high-quality designs from talented designers, and you can find some of their patterns available for free.
While these websites often design their patterns with specific yarns in mind, don't worry if you want to use different yarns. It's important to make a gauge swatch using the new yarn to ensure it matches the pattern's requirements. If needed, adjust your needle size to achieve the correct gauge.
When substituting yarn or if you can't find the recommended yarn, consider the fiber content, yardage, and yarn weight of both the original yarn and the substitution yarn to ensure a suitable match.
Better Homes and Gardens knit and crochet collection is out now
The Better Homes and Gardens Knit & Crochet Collection 2023 has more than 76 fabulous projects and comes with free chunky knitting needles and a crochet hook. Plus, there are stylish and simple patterns from Cardigang, the cool new kids on the knitting block!