• 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 brown onion, finely diced
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 stick celery, finely diced
• 1 carrot, finely diced
• 400g beef mince
• 150g Italian pork sausages, skin removed (2 sausages)
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 125ml milk
• 65g tomato paste
• 250ml red wine
• 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 2 fresh bay leaves
• 4 sprigs oregano
Heat ½ of the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a low heat. Add onion, garlic, celery and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in same pan, increasing heat to high. Add all meat and cook, stirring and breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, for 10 minutes or until browned. Season.
Reduce heat to medium and add milk. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until milk evaporates. Add paste and cook, stirring for 3 minutes.
Stir in wine, tomatoes, bay leaves, oregano and onion mixture. Season. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Set aside to cool a little.