However, due to the booming business of designer pet trades in Australia, more than 250,000 healthy cats and dogs are estimated to be euthanized in Australia each year because there are simply not enough homes for them.
As any animal-lover can attest, reading figures such as these can be a heartbreaking thing to do, but the good news is that there is something you and I can do to help abandoned cats this Christmas. We spoke to the Cat Protection Society of Victoria for their top tips on how you can help cats in shelters near you.
- Adopt a cat. Every cat deserves a second chance at love and life. The Cat Protection Society has plenty of cats and kittens just waiting to find their furr-ever home. Adoption prices start at $60 for senior cats, $110 for adult/teenage cats and $170 for kittens. This includes desexing, microchipping, vaccinations, worming and defleaing, a cat carry box and a two-week health cover.
- Volunteer. Volunteers play a vital role in supporting Cat Protection Society staff with day-to-day care of cats and kittens. Whether it's feeding the cats, cleaning out their boxes or giving them a cuddle, The Cat Protection Society appreciate all the time and effort their volunteers devote to the Shelter.
- Foster a cat. The Cat Protection Society are always searching for short and long-term foster carers to look after kittens, which are either too young or unwell to be re-homed when they first arrive at the Shelter.
- Make a donation. If you're unable to adopt, volunteer or foster a cat, why not make a donation? Whether you make a monetary donation or supply the shelter with blankets, newspapers and food, it can make a significant contribution to any Shelter, especially during the Christmas season.
- Become a member of the Shelter. The Cat Protection Society relies solely on memberships, legacies and donations for its day-to-day existence. By becoming a Member you can help The Cat Protection Society help their feline friends.
For more information on how to help, visit The Cat Protection website, here.
You might also like: