• 400g dried orecchiette pasta
• 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
• 200g ham off the bone, finely diced
• 1 white onion, thinly sliced
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 tsp capers, drained, chopped
• 2 Tbsp plain flour
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 1 cup evaporated milk
• 1 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
• ¾ cup finely grated parmesan
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 2 cups frozen peas
• ½ bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
• Juice of 1 lemon
• Micro herbs, to garnish
Cook orecchiette in a large saucepan of boiling salted water following pack instructions until al dente. Drain well.
Meanwhile, heat butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat until melted. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until golden brown. Stir in ham, onion, garlic and capers. Cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to stick to pan.
Gradually add stock, stirring constantly, until well combined. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Stir in evaporated milk and mustard, then parmesan. Season, then reduce heat to low.
Cook peas in a medium saucepan of boiling salted water for 3 minutes or until tender. Drain well and transfer to sauce with parsley and lemon juice. Combine sauce and pasta, tossing until well coated. Serve garnished with micro herbs.