• 100g pitted dates, finely chopped
• 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 250ml (1 cup) boiling water
• Cooking spray
• 50g (½ cup) Nestlé Plaistowe Premium Dutch Processed Cocoa, plus extra for dusting (optional)
• 80g (½ cup, lightly packed) dark brown sugar
• 120g tub unsweetened apple puree
• 80g light margarine
• 2 x 50g eggs, lightly whisked
• 50g (1⁄3 cup) Woolworths Free From Gluten Self Raising Flour
• 2 Tbsp Woolworths Free From Gluten Plain Flour
Put date and bicarbonate of soda in a heatproof bowl. Pour over water and stir. Set aside for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 160°C (fan-forced). Spray a 20cm (base measurement) square cake tin with cooking spray. Line base and sides with baking paper.
Put cocoa, sugar, apple puree and margarine in a small saucepan. Add date mixture and cook, stirring, over a low heat for 5 minutes or until mixture is well combined. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Add egg and whisk until well combined.
Add flours to date mixture and stir well. Pour mixture into prepared tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out almost clean (the mixture will still be slightly sticky). Set aside for 30 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with extra cocoa, if using. Cut into pieces and serve.
Nutrition Info PER SERVE: 370kJ, protein 1g, total fat 3.4g (sat. fat 1g), carbs 13g, fibre 2g, sodium 205mg. Carb exchanges 1. GI estimate medium. Gluten free.
Want more fab and fresh recipes? Pick up Diabetic Living’s Favourites Made Healthy recipe collection in supermarkets now, or grab it online.