“Air fryer technology has changed the way we create crispy and crunchy recipes in our homes. Since being introduced to the market, air fryers have become a must-have appliance for the kitchen,” explains category expert Tania Grillinzoni from The Good Guys.
How to choose the best air fryer for your home
When choosing any kitchen appliance, you need to consider whether you’ll be keeping it on display permanently on your kitchen benchtop or whether you’ll be storing it away after every use.
“Air fryers are convenient because they work as a benchtop appliance, so when you are finished with them, they can be easily stored away in the cupboard for next time. There is no need to have special cabinetry made to incorporate your air fryer into the kitchen.”
Air fryers are also a great appliance to bring along when you are travelling in a caravan or heading away on holiday as well, as they provide a good way of creating quick and simple meals with ease.
Size and capacity
Air fryers are compact and work as mini turbo-charged convection ovens. The first step is to find the right size and capacity for your cooking needs.
“Air fryers consist of a basket to place the food in. The bigger the basket, the more you can cook at once. With smaller air fryers, you would easily be able to roast a cut of meat. Whereas a larger air fryer allows for more space to add vegetables into the basket to cook at the same time,” explains Grillinzoni.
- 0.5L - 2L is perfect for a single person household
- 2L - 4L is perfect for couples or small families
- 4L - 6L is ideal for families of three to five
Cleaning your air fryer
If you’re not a fan of the cleaning up after making a feast, we’re on the same boat. Lucky for us, air fryers are known for their ease of clean up.
“Unlike deep fryers or convectional ovens, after use you can simply allow to cool, remove the basket and wipe down with a sponge, or hand wash if you choose to, and you’re ready to start cooking again.”
10 best air fryers to shop in Australia
If you’re ready to start your air frying journey, or you’re already an air fryer enthusiast looking for the next best air fryer to try out, read on for our top picks to add to your (air fryer) basket.
Fry, bake, grill, roast or reheat. This compact air fryer by Philips features Rapid Air technology, meaning you can now air fry with up to 90 per cent less fat. Its sleek design not only is perfect for those with less benchtop real estate, the white exterior seamlessly matches most kitchen aesthetics.
- Compact design – perfect for smaller spaces
- RapidAir technology so food cooks faster than older models
- Compatible with the NutriU app for personalised recipe recommendations
We can’t really look past the gorgeous rose gold finishings that feature on the Philips XXL air fryer. However, this air fryer not only looks super chic, it’s also one of the most highly-reviewed air fryers (and also highly recommended by Grillinzoni) on the market. With smart sensing technology, it automatically adjusts the time and temperature during cooking - just line up your food of choice in the tray and relax.
“Philips air fryers are perfect for modern kitchens. When bigger is better, the Philips XXL digital air fryer is the perfect fit.”
- Smart sensing technology to automatically adjust time and temperature during cooking
- Rapid Airflow technology ensures food cooks faster
- Keep warm mode available for up to 30 minutes after cooking
With a sleek stainless steel finish, this Kitchen Couture digital air fryer has an advanced digital touch screen menu, 12L capacity and a detachable basket design for easy cooking and cleanup. A functionally stylish addition to your countertop.
- Advanced air circulating technology
- 9 one-touch pre-set cooking programs
- Quick three-minute preheat function
- Removable oil-drainer
- LED digital touchscreen display
- 60-minute digital timer
- Automatic shut-off function
With a huge 7.6L capacity, the Ninja Dual Zone air fryer is made for the entertainers - the dinner-night host-ers. This air fryer features six different cooking modes; Max Crisp, Air Fry, Roast, Reheat, Dehydrate and Bake, to suit whatever you may be cooking up to impress. Use the two baskets to separate your fries from your beer-battered chicken and serve hot (as they should) at the same time.
- DualZone technology
- 6 different cooking modes
Rated 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon, the Instant Pot Vortex mini air fryer is perfect for side dishes or snacks. Featuring EvenCrisp technology, you can air fry crispy fries, chicken, onion rings and even cupcakes and cinnamon rolls – just to name a few. It comes in black, white or a daring red for those who want an air fryer that doubles as a statement countertop piece.
- Compact design – perfect for small spaces
- Four preset smart cooking programs to choose from
- Bright touchscreen display
From fresh or frozen, from air fryer to rotisserie. The Instant Vortex Plus air fryer is a 10L air fryer that has pre-set smart programs to easily roast, grill, bake, reheat, air fry, dehydrate or cook on a rotisserie.
Combine compact with versatility and you’ll be putting away your microwave, pizza oven and everything in between in a heartbeat. Plus, if you have a hungry family to feed, its 10L tray serves up to six people with ease.
- Seven built-in smart programs to choose from
- EvenCrisp technology ensures tender juicy meals with a crisp finish – every time
- Rotisserie: roast a whole chicken using the Rotisserie Smart Cooking program
- Large 10L capacity to make multiple meals in one go
Tefal air fryers provide an easy to use touchscreen coupled with eight pre-set cooking modes. The Tefal easy fry and grill deluxe air fryer is a top seller and is highly recommended by The Good Guys’ category expert Tania Grillinzoni.
“The sleek stainless steel and black finish also makes it a great addition to the benchtop,” states Grillinzoni.
- 2L capacity
- Eight pre-set automatic cooking programs
- LED touchscreen display
Healthy eating has never been this easy. This low fat air fryer by Kogan lets you enjoy the delicious crunch with minimal oil. With eight preset modes to choose from, your crispy favourites are just one button (and a few minutes) away. If you’re more of a sweet tooth, this air fryer also has a cake preset so you can satisfy your sweet cravings in a flash.
- Eight preset modes to choose from
- 1800W power for serious air frying
- Overheat safety protection
If you’re looking to combine your standard oven and air fryer into one, then the Smart Oven air fryer by Breville is a great choice. Another highly regarded model by The Good Guys’ category expert, Grillinzoni, this air fryer gives intense heat with maximised air flow, helping to create healthier recipes of your crisp golden favourites.
“The nine additional cooking functions and LCD display make it a simple and easy to use option, while the Element IQ cooking technology creates the ideal cooking environment, which can be clearly seen through the convenient glass door design.”
- 22L capacity for large families
- 10 cooking modes and heat settings
- Element IQ system for precise and even cooking
With a price tag of only $74.95, this sleek black air-fryer is a great option for those who are buying their first air-fryer and not wanting to invest over $100. Most air-fryers in this price range are much smaller and made for single households, but this budget-friendly one is perfect for feeding a small family.
- Adjustable digital temperature controls from 80°C to 200°C.
- Detachable basket and non-stick Teflon-coated basket allows for easy cleaning.
- Automatic shut-off function when the cooking cycle is complete.
You may also like: