Ways to reduce your clothing waste:
- Try not to impulse buy. Focus on things you need, not what catches your eye in the moment.
- Buy fewer clothes that are of better quality. Choosing well made, timeless options will result in a wardrobe of quality pieces that will stand the test of time.
- Limit fast fashion purchases and try to buy classic styles that won’t date, and that suit you.
- Take care of your clothes so they last longer – wash them properly and with care, and clean any stains immediately.
- Learn how to repair your own clothes.
- Swap and share clothes with friends.
Another great way to reuse old t-shirts is to turn them into a tote or shopping bag.
How To Make A T-Shirt Tote Bag
What you will need:
- Old t-shirt (The thicker the fabric the better!)
- Fabric or Sharp scissors
- Washable marker
Step 1: Cut the sleeves off
Fold your t-shirt in half and cut both sleeves at once – to keep the sides identical. If you are using a thicker material, you can cut one side at a time, then fold it in half and use the cutout as a guide for the other side.
Step 2: Cut the neckline
Turn the shirt inside out and trace the outline of a bowl before cutting.
Step 3: Determine how deep you want the bag to be
Determine where you want the bottom of the bag to be and trace a line straight across. Note: Depending on the fabric used, your tote is likely to stretch and become longer when it is full.
Step 4: Cut fringe
Grab your scissors and cut slits around approx. ¾ - 1 inch apart from the bottom of the shirt up to the line marking the bottom of your bag. Cut both the front and back layers together, these will need to match up for step 5.
Step 5: Tie Fringe
Line up the top and bottom layers of the fringe, and tie them in a simple knot.
You will notice a tiny gap between each set of knots, to fix, tie a second knot using the top fringe from one pair and the bottom fringe from the pair next to it.