There’s nothing worse than a computer that misbehaves. It might be running slow, it might be running out of battery or it might be infected with a virus. What’s worse is paying someone to fix a computer issue that could have been done at home yourself, for free. So we asked ASUS tech expert, Cameron Palmar, to share his top tips on how to improve your PC productivity at home.
How to clear space to help your device run faster
- Limit the amount of programs that run simultaneously.
- Delete any unused programs and files to minimise the amount of clutter on your hard drive.
How to safeguard your computer from internet-borne viruses
- Always seek out the best antivirus software for your PC to provide protection against malicious software.
- Antivirus software ‘Security Essential’ is usually packaged into any Windows-based PC’s.
- Make sure you conduct regular virus scans to ensure your PC is virus-free.
How to maximise your laptop's battery life
- Simple and easy steps like dimming the desktop screen light, disabling Bluetooth when it is not being used, engaging low battery mode and even turning off unnecessary notifications and settings will help extend battery life.
- Searching for power outlets aren’t the most productive use of time. To minimise the search for the elusive electrical socket, we would suggest conducting a bit of research through product comparisons and reviews to find a device with a great battery life.
The top troubleshooting shortcuts you need to know
- Alt+Control+Delete is the best shortcut to use to bring up the Task Manager and quickly troubleshoot any programs that are frozen or performing slower than usual.
How to remove pop-up ads from your device forever
- We recommend installing advert blockers through extensions that are available through web browsers such as Google Chrome.
How to safely clean your PC
- A lot of dust particles tend to get stuck in PCs due to the cooling systems built within.
- The most common method is to turn off the PC, use a can of compressed air and remove dust build-up around the parts such as the power supply, fans, bottom of the case.
How to clear out the 2018 clutter on your PC to make way for 2019
- Transfer all old files onto an external hard drive and delete them from your PC.
- Go through all your installed programs and uninstall any apps that were never utilised, despite your good intentions.
You might also like: