How to install glass sliding doors
Gather your supplies
- 70 x 45mm H3 treated pine framing
- 100mm flashing
- 2145 x 2700mm stacking aluminium sliding door kit
- 8g x 32mm black button head screws
- Sliding patio door lock
You'll also need
- Drill with various bits
- Tie-down straps
- Tape measure
- Mitre saw
- Reciprocating saw
- Nail gun with framing nails
For you to note
- Moving a roller door is heavy and is a two-person job. Secure tie-down straps around drum, then continue to wind it in the opening direction a few times to release the tension before removing fasteners.
- Seek professional advice before attempting to remove structural walls.
- Sliding stacker door kits are supplied flatpacked and ready to assemble.
- Flashing is installed along the door sill to improve the weatherproofing.
Open roller door and use a drill to remove stoppers from base.
Position tie-down straps around the drum to keep it wound. Remove U-bolts either side to release axle from support brackets. Remove door, track guides and support brackets from both sides.
Remove external cladding to access framing. Check rafters and roof framing to brace as needed with treated pine, using a mitre saw to cut and nail gun to install.
Mark door opening (2145 x 2700mm), adding 50mm along the top and 10mm either side.
Use reciprocating saw to cut and remove framing obstructing opening, including base plate, studs and noggins.
Build new framing to size with double studs and top plate, securing with nail gun.
Use snips to cut flashing to fit base of opening, folding down and around studs.
Follow supplied instructions to assemble door frame, installing draught foams at corners before securing with supplied screws. Position in opening, use a level to check frame is straight and plumb, adding packers into gaps either side, under base and along top to wedge securely.
To secure door frame to wall framing, predrill with 3.5mm metal bit and secure with button head screws; check placement to avoid obstructing movement. Replace cladding, trimming and securing to door frame. Hang fixed panel, then doors, checking for smooth opening, adjusting packers as required.
Follow supplied instructions to install lock and latch plate using a drill and screwdriver.
You might also like: