When you think of artisanal handcrafted products, you don’t automatically think of Ikea. After all, the Swedish retail giant is best known for its mass-manufactured flatpack furniture.
But delver a little deeper into Ikea’s shelves and you’ll find a plethora of handmade products that are unique and one-of-a-kind.
Here, we’ve rounded up the best handmade items at Ikea.
1. FABULÖS glasses, $2.99 each.
These decorative glasses feature an organic blue design and each one is unique. They will add a handmade element to your dinner table.
2. NORDRANA basket, set of 2, $14.99.
Each basket is hand-crocheted by Vietnamese craftspeople with good working conditions and fair wages at organised weaving centres.
3. MELHOLT flatwoven dark blue rug, $89.
The dark blue wool has been randomly woven into the jute, making each rug unique.
4. HULTET bamboo dish, $6.99.
Each dish is made by hand with bamboo, a renewable material that creates interesting patterns and designs for pieces with personality.
5. SINNERLIG bamboo pendant lamp, $89.
This Ilse Crawford designed pendant is woven by hand, casting decorative light patterns around the room.
6. BUSKBO rattan armchair, $199.
Woven by hand, this rattan armchair introduces a natural element into your home.
7. SÖTHOLMEN blue indoor-outdoor cushion cover, $20.99.
Add character to your outdoor space with this handcrafted cushion cover that’s been sustainably dyed.
8. SOARÉ water hyacinth place mat, $2.99.
Add a handmade element to your table setting with these handcrafted place mats.
9. STOCKHOLM 2017 blue tealight holder/vase, $6.99.
Each glass piece is mouthblown and handmade and can be used alternately as a tealight holder or a vase.
10. IKEA ART EVENT 2019 multicolour rug, $699.
Hand-tufted by skilled craftspeople, each rug is unique and made in a centre with good working conditions, fair wages, stable work and care for the environment.
11. BÖJA rattan bamboo pendant lamp, $99.
Each handmade shade is unique, diffusing a space with soft glowing light.