- Fill a bath with cold or lukewarm water (hot water will cause the item to shrink) and add some sheepskin or wool detergent. Make the sure the detergent is non-alkaline and contains no biological enzymes. Steer clear of fabric softeners too.
- Place the rug in the bath and move around to loosen any dirt. Rinse twice, removing all the detergent.
- Give the rug a squeeze, trying to remove as much excess water as possible.
- Dry flat on a towel, away from direct sunlight.
- Using a metal brush, brush the wool three times. Once while damp, another while drying and then once it has dried.
How to clean a shaggy rug
- Give it a good shake outside to get rid of any excess dirt.
- Vacuum using an upholstery attachment to avoid sucking up bits of your rug.
- Try a dry carpet shampoo, following the instructions carefully.
- Alternatively, fill a bath with four parts cold water and one part delicate laundry liquid and soak the rug for half an hour.
- Rinse out any detergent and squeeze.
- Dry the rug flat away from direct sunlight.