Make your own Xmas display by cutting a triangle from plywood 900mm high by 600mm wide, then add three shelves, brackets for support and a cabinet knob as the star!
WHAT YOU NEED:
Project Panel 900 x 600 x 9mm Premium Grade Radiata Plywood
4 x offcuts at least 75mm high to set out plywood for cutting
Porta 92 x 11mm 2.7m DAR FJ Primed Pine cut to 440mm, 310mm and 180mm
2 x offcuts to paint the shelves on
British Paints 500ml Sample Pots tinted Hot Pop Green (dark), Slice of Life (light) and Pink Groove (pink)
Paint Partner 38mm Synthetic Paint Brush
- Set out the plywood on offcuts at least 75mm high then, using a measuring tape and pencil, mark the top of the plywood sheet.
- Use the track from the plunge saw kit and a pencil to mark cut lines from the corners to the centre.
- Clamp the track onto the plywood to make the first cut from corner to top, checking the offcuts are not under the cut lines and are positioned to support both pieces.
- Adjust the depth of the blade to 10mm and wear eye protection to run the plunge saw along the track to cut. Remove and reposition the track to make the second cut from top to corner, checking the offcuts are positioned to support the plywood.
- Use the measuring tape and pencil to measure up 150mm from the base on each side, then 350mm from the base, then 550mm to set out the shelves 200mm apart. At these marks, use a combination square to measure 70mm in from the sides to indicate the position of the shelves.
- Position the shelves (cut to 440mm, 310mm and 180mm) to mark corresponding screw holes on the shelves and the plywood, with three screws for the base and two for the top and middle shelves.
- Use the drill with 3.5mm drill bit to make the holes into the edge of the shelves then use a 4mm drill bit to make holes through the plywood.
- Use a microfibre roller to paint the front and sides of the plywood in dark green, leaving to dry then applying a second coat.
- Change the roller cover to paint the shelves light green, doing one side and the edges, leaving to dry then turning them over to complete painting. Leave to dry then apply a second coat.
- Use a brush to paint the beech knob pink, leave to dry then apply a second coat.
- For the base shelf, position a 40mm screw through the back of the plywood so it protrudes slightly, position the first hole over it and use the drill to secure. Repeat for the other screws and attach the middle and top shelves the same way.
- On the back, measure 70mm from the base and 150mm from the sides to secure the brackets with 25mm screws. TIP: The tree is designed to sit at a slight angle so the shelves don’t become front-heavy and tip forward.
- About 25mm from the top of the tree, drill a hole for the beech knob, check and snap the supplied screw to fit then secure.
- Dress your tree with fairy lights, gifts and stocking fillers!