Just follow these simple steps.
- Place a sheet of parchment baking paper on the benchtop.
- Take your cake tin and trace around it.
- Place a bit of icing in the centre of a cake stand, then centre the baking paper on top of it.
- Using a palette knife, spread icing directly on to the parchment paper, filling the circle.
- Take your cake and place it on top of the icing.
- If you’re doing another layer, repeat steps four and five.
- Now do a crumb coat, spreading the icing in a thin layer around the side of the cake.
- Pop the cake in the freezer for 30 minutes to set the icing.
- Spread the final layer of icing around the side of the cake.
- Use a cake scraper (or a clean plastic ruler) to smooth around the sides of the cake.
- Pop the cake in the freezer for another 30 minutes to set the top layer of icing.
- Take a cake stand and place it upside down on top of the cake.
- Carefully invert the cake stand and slowly peel off the parchment baking powder to reveal a perfectly iced cake.
Watch this video by Justin Chapple from Food & Wine for the how-to.
You might also like: