In September of 2023, the Indonesian government announced it would be charging overseas visitors to Bali a tourist tax. This tax will be used to support the island’s natural environment, help conservation efforts and improve the quality of services and experiences available to tourists.
From February 14 of 2024, foreign tourists will now have to pay 150,000 Indonesia Rupiah, or AUD $14.40 before entering Bali.
Governor Wayan Koster made the announcement last year, and told local politicians that the fee will be paid electronically. If you wish to pay before you get on the plane, you can do so by visiting the LOVE BALI website. For payment when getting to Bali, it is to be made at I Gusti Ngurah Rai Airport or at Benoa Bali Harbor on arrival. The in-person payment will be a cashless payment.
The Governor also said foreigners travelling into Bali from other parts of Indonesia are not exempt and must pay the levy. However, domestic Indonesian tourists will be exempt.
What will the Bali tourist tax be used for?
Governor Koster shared that the money would be used towards improving the island.
“We will use it (the money) for the environment, culture and we will build better quality infrastructure so travelling to Bali will be more comfortable and safe.”
Who is exempt from paying the Bali tourist tax?
The Indonesian government has highlighted who must pay the tax, and who is exempt. All foreign travellers, whether within Indonesia or coming from overseas must pay the levy, while the individuals that are exempt must be one of the following:
- Diplomatic and official visa holders: Those visiting Indonesia to conduct government business, a diplomatic posting, or special assignments in Indonesia.
- Conveyance crew: Those working on board a ship.
- KITS/ KITAP holders: Those who possess a Residence Permit Card for a temporary, limited or permanent stay to live and work.
- Family unification, golden and student visa holders: Those helping family settle, corporate investors or students.
- Specific non-tourist visa holders
You may also like: