• 1 brown onion, finely diced
• 6 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 2 chipotle chillies in adobo sauce
• ½ cup dark brown sugar
• ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
• Juice of 2 lemons
• ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
• 1¼ cups tomato ketchup
Note: Allow overnight to cool
• You’ll find chipotle chillies in adobo sauce in many supermarkets and delis, and online. If you’re unable to find it, mix two chopped green chillies with two teaspoons of smoked paprika instead. But make sure you give it some heat – after all, it’s for your wild man!
• This sauce can be stored in a cool, dark place for up to two months. Store in the fridge after opening and use within two weeks.
• Lemon juice and apple cider vinegar ensure that the sauce has a high level of acidity. This is important for sauces that are to be stored as it will extend their refrigeration life.
• To sterilise your jars, simply bake them in the oven or immerse in boiling water for 10 minutes. You can also use baby-bottle sterilising tablets.
Put onion, garlic and butter in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Season, add chillies and sauce and cook for 3 minutes.
Stir in sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and vinegar, then cook for 15 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in ketchup, bring to the boil, then pour into sterilised jars and seal while hot. Set aside to cool overnight before serving.