Looking for a stunning garden showpiece? Welded sculptures impart old-world charm and character. Just check out this collection by Sydney artist Christopher Hartshorn. Want to give sculptural welding a red-hot go? All you’ll need is a MIG welder, scrap metal, basic welding skills and your imagination. Check community colleges for welding workshops.
1. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. However, just make sure you have room to store it all! Ten hectares of bushland ought to do it.
2. What a cracker! A bold-as-brass cocky makes a screeching statement.
3. Stand and deliver with shovels, oilcans and sinks. Ned Kelly would have loved this outfit.
4. Dude, where’s the rest of my car? Have fun with welding and make the most of what you can find.
5. As a letterbox, this cheery little musical mash-up will certainly make the postie smile.
About the artist
Christopher Hartshorn, known as Jangling Jack, is a Sydney artist who makes sculptures out of scrap metal. He has featured in solo and group exhibitions and his work can be seen at Traffic Jam Galleries in Sydney and Ferry Artists Gallery in Wisemans Ferry. For more details, call 0428 488 638 or visit janglingjack.com