Are you still looking for that magical, quick and easy weight loss fix? Yep, us too. Sad to say we haven’t found one yet that delivers on its lofty promise. You know what they say, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is! While the latest fad diet may help you shed a couple of kilos, it’s unlikely to guarantee you the kind of weight loss that has a real and lasting impact on your health and wellbeing.
We tend to blame ourselves when we struggle to keep weight off but in reality, most easy-off schemes are simply not sustainable in the real world. It’s not you, it’s them!
So what’s the answer? First, we have to make peace with the idea that since the weight didn’t appear overnight, it’s not disappearing overnight! Second, everyone’s journey is different. What works for your friend or your sister, might not be right for you.
That’s why talking to your doctor is a great place to begin. Dr Georgia Rigas explains that this is the best first step in discussing your health concerns.
“A good place to start is to arrange for a long appointment with your GP,” Rigas says.
“This will allow adequate time to discuss things with neither of you feeling rushed or pressured.”
At your visit
- Be open and honest. Share your reasons for wanting to lose weight, what you’ve tried in the past and how important it is for you to make positive changes.
- Ask about options and strategies. For example, is there a trusted accredited practicing dietician they can recommend? What types of exercise are safe and effective?
- What’s the best way to work around any pre-existing health conditions such as dodgy knees, back trouble, diabetes or heart issues?
- What’s realistic in terms of how much weight you can expect to lose within a certain time frame and how can you keep it off once it’s gone?
- Are there other medically managed, clinically proven weight loss approaches that could work for you along with diet and exercise?
Doctor On Your Side
Before you head off to your appointment, visit www.doctoronyourside.com.au . There, you’ll find some great self-assessment tools and an in depth quiz to help you prep for your conversation. (If you don’t have a GP, the doctor locator can help you find one near you who has a special interest in weight management.) There’s also a wealth of other information to help get you on track and on the way to healthy, lasting weight loss.