Next time you go to toss the coffee grounds, think again. Save money - and reduce landfill - by finding clever new uses for your old food scraps.
Here, some of our favourite ideas to get you started.
1. Use eggshells to feed your garden. Crush them in your blender (or by hand) and sprinkle them on top of your garden.
2. Add cheese rinds to add flavour to soups or broth. Or toss them in the oven and turn them into cheese crisps.
3. Add citrus peel to your bin or garbage disposal unit to keep neutralize kitchen smells.
4. Make a quick infusion or tisane by adding ginger or orange scraps to boiling water, along with a little honey for extra sweetness.
5. Scrub your hands (and chopping board) with used coffee grounds to deodorise your them after you’ve used garlic or onion.
6. Peel from a grapefruit, lemon or lime can be used to deodorize your dishwasher.
7. Use leftover herb stems (like rosemary and thyme) to infuse oil, vinegar or stock.
8. Keep brown sugar soft by adding a piece of orange or lemon peel to an airtight bag or container.
9. Place slices of cucumber peel around small holes on the wall or windowsills to prevent ants, moths and mites from coming inside. Just make sure you replace the next day.
10. Add flavor to your glass of water with lemon or orange peels.
11. Sprinkle used coffee grounds on your garden for a natural pest repellant.
12. Add apple peels to a pan filled with water and simmer for 30 minutes to clean aluminum cookware.