No yard? No problem! There are many tips to help make the most of your balcony and to transform an empty, featureless space into a pure outdoor oasis. Use your slice of the outdoors for more than just a storage area for your bike and barbecue. But before you begin, make sure to check with your building management for any legal and safety considerations.
1. Make the most of a small space and grow up! Arranging small potted plants against walls lifts them up, gives them more sun and best of all it frees up the floor for more important things, like this Acapulco-style chair and a screen of luxurious plants.
2. A foldaway table is the ideal solution for a small-space balcony. Put it up for drinks and nibblies, and down when guests are mingling. For safety reasons, fold it away when not in use and remove any stools. Click here for instructions on how to make these foldaway tables.
3. Maximise growing space with hanging pots. Find a pot style that you like and simply drill three evenly-spaced holes below the lip of the pot. If needed, also drill drainage holes into its base. Plant up, attach a hanging basket chain and hook onto an S-hook. Easy!
4. For year-round colour without any fuss, go for a striking vriesea bromeliad.
5. A compact and handsome shrub, Pittosporum Creme de Mint grows best in full sun and needs a light annual trim to keep it in shape.
6. Give your balcony a total overhaul complete with the green, green synthetic grass of home.
7. Stagger pots at different heights and create a living display that will keep on growing and changing. Click here for instructions on how to create this look