Save yourself the time and money, don't give into those miracle hair revival elixirs from the supermarket or pharmacy yet. Here' s a list of myth busting tips to help you better understand hair loss.
1. Male baldness doesn’t just affect older men, it actually affects men in their 20s as well. In fact, male pattern baldness is increasing in millennials at a faster rate than ever before due to stress and other environmental factors.
2. Many women also experience hair loss. By the time women reach 50, about half of them will be experiencing some type of pattern hair loss.
3. Heredity does play a huge part in hair loss. While both parents’ genes will contribute to hair loss and can accelerate hair shedding.
4. Stress does affect and contribute to hair loss. Stress affects our cellular health, which damages cells including hair cells.
5. Wearing a hat or helmet will not cause hair loss. While some head gear may pull on your hair, you normally shed between 50 and 100 strands of hair per day, which constantly regrows.
6. Hair doesn’t all grow at the same time. Up to 10% of your hair is in a resting stage, between growing cycles, at any given time and after about two to three months the next hair growth cycle begins.
7. Ethnicity does affect your hair growth. If you’re Asian, generally your hair will grow faster.
8. Diet does not cause hair loss. Your hair grows up to 15 centimetres per year. A poor diet that is deficient in certain vitamins and minerals may slow hair growth and affect the health of your hair however it does not cause hair loss.
9. While some medications are used to try and prevent hair loss, they usually only work if you use them continuously. Hair transplant surgery is the only long term solution to recover from permanent hair loss.
10. The majority of people who undertake hair transplant surgery are younger than you think. The most common age range for hair transplant surgery is 30 years to 49 years of age. The next most common is 49 – 59.
You might also like: