HOME TO THE STARS
Gather your supplies
• Bottom 380 x 92 x 11mm dressed pine
• Right side 462 x 92 x 11mm dressed pine
• Left side 476 x 92 x 11mm dressed pine
• Base side (2) 81 x 40 x 11mm dressed pine
• Base front 175 x 40 x 11mm dressed pine
• Lower shelf 287 x 92 x 11mm dressed pine
• Middle shelf 193 x 92 x 11mm dressed pine
• Upper shelf 98 x 92 x 11mm dressed pine
• Back 423 x 402 x 3mm MDF
• Shelf divider 90 x 92 x 11mm dressed pine
1. Check all components against actual unit as it is built before cutting to size.
2. Measurements given are the longest side on pieces with angled cuts.
3. Angled cuts at each end of components to go in the opposite direction to each other.
4. All joints glued and nailed.
5. Style up the backboard with your favourite colouring paper.
You’ll also need
Cordless drill; 1.5mm wood bit; PVA glue; 30 x 2mm nails; hammer; nail punch; wood filler; timber undercoat, semi-gloss acrylic paint (off-white)
Step 1 Cut bottom with a 25º angle at each end. Cut right side with 25º cut at one end and 40º cut at other. Butt bottom into right side flush with end that has 25º cut. Predrill using 1.5mm bit and then nail.
Step 2 Cut left side to length with a 25º cut at one end and a 40º cut at the other. Place against open ends of bottom and right side so angles on ends match the angles on those pieces. Predrill and nail.
Step 3 Create base assembly by butting base sides into base front flush with the ends. Predrill and nail. Sit tree on top of base assembly so it is centred. Drill through bottom into base assembly and nail. Make sure base sides are square to tree before drilling and nailing at the back.
Step 4 Cut lower shelf with angles of 25º at each end. Measuring perpendicular to the bottom, mark a point on each side of the tree 90mm up from the inside face of the bottom. Place lower shelf between sides so underside of shelf meets these points. Predrill and nail through sides into shelf.
Step 5 Repeat Step 4 to install middle and upper shelf. Make marks on sides for each shelf by measuring up 90mm from top of the shelf below.
Step 6 Slot divider into desired position. Predrill and nail through shelves above and below to secure.
Step 7 Trace shape of tree on plywood sheet and cut out to make the back. Glue and nail to tree.
Step 8 Punch all nails below surface. Use wood filler to fill holes and gaps. Leave to dry then sand smooth.
Step 9 Apply undercoat. Let dry, then apply 2 coats of off‑white semi-gloss acrylic.
Like the edible snowmen? Click here for the recipe.
What about the reindeer biscuits? Click here for the recipe.