Embrace the winter chill and enjoy slow-cooking success with 24 pages of sumptuous, hearty recipes in the July issue.
Here’s one to get you started…
Lentil and eggplant ragu
• 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 brown onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
• 1 carrot, sliced into 1cm-thick rounds
• 1 eggplant, diced into 1cm cubes
• 1 cup red wine
• ½ cup tomato paste
• 750ml vegetable stock
• 375g pack whole green lentils, rinsed
• 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 6 basil leaves, torn, plus extra, to serve
• 1 fresh bay leaf
• 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 Tbsp brown sugar
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• Cooked penne, to serve
• Shaved parmesan, to serve
Step 1: Heat oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add onion, garlic, celery and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add eggplant and cook for a further 5 minutes or until eggplant has softened slightly. Stir in wine and tomato paste, then bring to the boil. Cook for 5 minutes or until wine has reduced by half. Transfer mixture to the bowl of a 5L slow cooker and place in appliance.
Step 2: Stir in 2 cups of water, stock, lentils, tomatoes, herbs, ½ of the vinegar and ½ of the sugar. Cover with lid and cook on low setting for 6 hours. Stir in remaining vinegar and remaining sugar. Season.
Step 3: Serve lentil and eggplant ragu on or tossed through cooked penne. Scatter over shaved parmesan and extra basil leaves.
For more delicious slow-cooking recipes be sure to pick up a copy of the July issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine, on sale now!