Forget the Chinese takeaway, you can stay home and eat healthier (and cheaper) fakeaway with our guide to stir-frying. Warm up with this flavoursome and fast dish!
Sweet and Spicy Stir-Fry
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Serves 4 (as a main)
PER SERVE 1500kJ, protein 25g, total fat 10g (sat. fat 2g), carbs 36g, fibre 7g, sodium 684mg • Carb exchanges 2 1/2 • GI estimate low
- 250g beef sirloin or rump steak
- 3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp minced red chillies
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 200g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 red or yellow capsicum, cut into strips
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 140g (2/3 cup) SunRice Low GI Brown Rice, cooked following packet directions
- Snipped basil, coriander or parsley (optional)
- If desired, partially freeze beef for easier slicing. Trim fat from meat. Thinly slice meat across the grain into bite-size strips. Stir the hoisin sauce, vinegar, and minced chillies in a small bowl.
- Heat half the oil in a large wok over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and cook, stirring, for 15 seconds. Add the broccoli and capsicum. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are tender crisp. Remove the vegetables from the wok.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok and heat over high heat. Add the beef and edamame. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until beef is just cooked. Return the vegetables to the wok and toss combine.
- Add the sauce to the wok and toss to combine and heat through. If desired, toss the rice with the basil or herbs. Serve the beef stir-fry with the rice.
[cook’s tip] Pork tenderloin has less than half the fat of beef sirloin steak. Trim and slice it the same way as directed for the beef.
For more delicious, easy and healthy recipes, get your issue of Diabetic Living today!
Diabetic Living is a one-stop health information source for the 1.7 million Australian's who have Type 1, pre-Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes. Backed by a team of medical experts, DL provides easy-to-understand health and exercise information along with delicious, dietician-approved recipes for everyone looking to lead a healthy life.