• 8-10 chicken thigh cutlets, skin on
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• Coriander leaves, to serve
• Steamed rice, to serve
SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
• 200ml malt vinegar
• 100ml shaoxing wine or dry sherry
• 1⁄2 cup sugar
• 1 tsp sea-salt flakes
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
• 3 Tbsp ginger, cut into fine batons
• 410g can apricot halves in juice
• 1⁄2 yellow capsicum, cut into fine batons
• 410g can diced tomatoes, drained
• 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
To make sauce, combine vinegar, wine or sherry, sugar and salt in a medium heavy- based saucepan over a high heat. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil. Add garlic and ginger, then reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Add apricot, capsicum and tomato, and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in soy sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C. Heat a large heavy- based frying pan over a high heat. Season chicken. Reduce heat to medium, add chicken, skin side down, and cook for 8 minutes or until browned. Turn and cook on other side until browned. Transfer to an ovenproof baking dish and pour over 1⁄2 the sauce. Bake for 8 minutes or until bubbling.
Heat remaining sauce in a small saucepan over a low heat. Pour over chicken, scatter coriander on top and serve with rice on the side.