Chunky wool, bright colours and quick knitting projects: this yarn is for you.
We chat with Sean Lenehan, Spotlight's yarn buyer about their new yarn brand Abbey Road.
Tell us a bit about the collection?
We identified there was a gap in the market. Few of our ranges speak to new, younger knitters, those with a sense of fun, an eye for fashion and a desire to make their own bespoke garment. These customers are adventurous with colour, care about provenance and strongly influenced by social media. All four ranges are made in Italy, in fashionable colours and their names are a play on classic song names:
- The hero range is Born to Be Wool. This is a chunky, roving style 100% Merino Wool that knits up fast and satisfies those who like quick results.
- Strawberry Fields Mohair is a Mohair blend with a soft brushed look perfect for cosy, light, apparel.
- Kung Fu Cotton is 100% Organic Cotton that is a joy to work with, an all-weather yarn and feels great against your skin. It’s a knock-out!
- Wool to be Wild is a versatile wool and acrylic blend in a huge range of fashion colours and prints for those looking for a more classic style yarn.
What has the reaction been like?
Sales have been strong particularly for Kung Fu Cotton in the gorgeous, on-trend, blush pink shade. The nude tones and mustard tones have also been popular across all 4 ranges. New knitters are being particularly inspired by the colours and textures.
What can people knit with this range?
We have the new Abbey Road pattern book available in stores this week, and are thrilled in how the book has reflected the feel we were after in the brand, colour and design. Patterns include:
- Born to be Wool Chevron Sweater-it’s all about colour with this 3 colour block fun garment that is quick and easy to knit and very on trend with the chunky yarn
- Kung Fu Cotton Cropped Sweater-With so many great colours in the Kung Fu range there is something for everyone in an easy to wear Sweater
- Strawberry Fields Striped Sweater-This yarn is lightweight but warm with 22% Mohair and features puff sleeves that are on trend
- Wool to be Wild Bobble Scarf –Another great colour combo that is sure to be a hit!
We’ll be encouraging fans to share their projects #abbeyroadyarn.