• 2 tsp fennel seeds
• 2 tsp white peppercorns
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 1 Tbsp brown sugar
• 2 tsp smoked paprika
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 4 thick-cut T-bone steaks (about 300g each)
• ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
• 2 cobs corn, husks removed
• 2 cups snow peas, trimmed, halved diagonally
• 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
• 2 avocados, flesh diced
• ½ red onion, sliced thinly
• 4 figs, sliced into rounds
• 1 head baby fennel
• ½ bunch mint, leaves picked
• 2 tsp caster sugar
• Juice of 2 limes
Use a mortar and pestle to pound fennel seeds, peppercorns and cumin seeds until cracked. Mix in brown sugar and paprika, then season generously with salt. Rub into steaks, coating well, then set aside for 5 minutes.
Preheat a barbecue grill plate to high. Drizzle 2 Tbsp of the oil on steaks and grill for 10 minutes, turning often for medium or until cooked to your liking. Set aside to rest.
Drizzle corn with 1 Tbsp of oil before grilling for 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until lightly charred. Cut kernels off cob and put in large bowl with snow peas, tomatoes, avocado, onion and figs. Shave fennel very finely, reserving fronds, and put in bowl with mint and mix.
Use a mortar and pestle to pound caster sugar and fennel fronds until a paste forms. Stir in lime juice and remaining oil, then add to bowl. Season and toss.
Slice steak if preferred. Serve salad in a large dish topped with steak.