Top 5 tips for selling and buying on Gumtree
1. Do your research: Dedicate time to researching what’s out there and the average price of similar items. The 'saved searches' tool is great if you’re looking for a particular item or brand, as it provides you with an email update whenever a similar item is listed.
2. Ask questions: When first contacting the seller, don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions about the condition of the item and why it’s for sale, as well as if there are receipts or warranties available. It’s easy to contact a seller via the Gumtree 'My Messages' feature.
3. Negotiate: Don’t be afraid to negotiate a price you think is fair but don’t offer an unrealistic amount.
4. Meet in person: A transaction should always be made face-to-face, with an in-person payment once the goods have been inspected or the service completed. Never send or wire money to somebody you don’t know. For personal ease and safety, arrange to meet in a public place and take a friend or family member with you.
5. Common sense: Use common sense when buying online. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is!
1. Do your research: Dedicate time to researching what’s out there and the average price of similar items to make sure you’re setting a fair price.
2. Be descriptive: Describe the product you’re selling, including its features, a brief history and reasons for selling the item. The more information you provide, the more likely you are to make a sale at the price you’re looking for. You can be as creative as you like!
3. Upload high quality photos: Upload high quality images to make sure your listing stands out from the rest. You can also pay to upgrade your ad to ensure more people see it.
4. Manage your listing: Ensure you keep on top of messages from potential buyers. Communicate quickly and directly through 'My Messages' and download the Gumtree app on your phone so you can manage your ad on the go. You can even buy an upgrade for your listing, to help your ad stand out from others in that category.
5. Always meet face to face: When buying or selling, it’s important to meet in person to see the item and exchange money. For personal ease and safety, have a friend with you.