This roast chicken is guaranteed to be a family favourite!
* 60g unsalted butter, softened
* 1 tsp fennel seeds
* 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
* 2 Tbsp finely chopped rosemary
* 2 Tbsp finely chopped sage
* 1 lemon
* 1.6kg organic chicken
* ½ bulb garlic
* Extra ½ bunch thyme
* 2 red onions, cut into wedges
* 1 bulb fennel, cut into wedges
* ½ butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 5cm pieces
* 4 parsnips, cut into 5cm pieces
* 2 Tbsp olive oil
* 1 tsp sea-salt flakes
* 1 cup white wine
Preheat oven to 180°C. Put butter in a medium bowl. Add fennel seeds, thyme leaves, rosemary, sage and finely grated zest from lemon. Beat to combine. Put chicken in a large roasting dish.
Quarter zested lemon and insert into chicken cavity with garlic and extra thyme. Tie legs with kitchen string, to secure. Spread butter mixture all over chicken.
Put onion, fennel, pumpkin, parsnip, oil and salt in a large bowl. Toss until vegies are well coated. Arrange around chicken, then add wine.
Cover with a sheet of baking paper and foil, then bake for 1 hour. Increase oven temperature to 200°C. Remove paper and foil, and bake for a further 30 minutes or until chicken is golden and juices run clear when tested with a skewer. Stand chicken for 10 minutes before carving and serving.