• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 brown onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, smashed
• 1 carrot, peeled, chopped
• 2 sticks celery, peeled, chopped
• 250g silverbeet leaves, roughly chopped
• 3 cups thickly shredded green cabbage
• 1 zucchini, finely chopped
• 200g fresh podded borlotti beans
• 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 1 cup red wine
• 1L chicken stock
• 8 sprigs thyme
• 2 bay leaves
• 100g stale sourdough, cut into 2cm cubes
• Extra fresh thyme, to serve
• Extra virgin olive oil, to serve
Heat olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook for 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
Add silverbeet, cabbage and zucchini and cook for 5 minutes or until silverbeet softens. Add beans, tomatoes, wine and stock and bring to the boil. Add thyme and bay leaves. Reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes.
Add bread and cook for a further 5 minutes or until bread has softened.
Ladle soup into 4 serving bowls and top each with fresh thyme sprigs and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil to serve.