Take the pumpkin soup you know and love to healthy new heights with superfoods garlic, ginger, turmeric, yoghurt and crunchy dry-roasted almonds.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 55 mins
• 1 brown onion, cut into thin wedges
• 2 cloves garlic, thickly sliced
• 4 carrots, halved lengthways, roughly chopped
• 6 dutch carrots, trimmed, fronds reserved
• 300g Kent pumpkin, seeded, peeled, cut into 3cm chunks
• 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tsp ground turmeric
• Sea-salt akes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 1 cup dried red lentils
• 1.5L vegetable stock
• 8 sprigs thyme
• 11⁄2 tsp nely grated ginger
• Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
• Dry-roasted natural almonds, roughly chopped, to serve
Step 1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Put onion, garlic, all carrots and pumpkin on a large oven tray. Add oil and turmeric and season. Toss well to coat. Roast for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Set aside dutch carrots on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
Step 2 Transfer remaining roast vegetables to a large, heavy- based saucepan. Add lentils, stock, thyme and ginger. Cover with a lid and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Remove lid and cook uncovered for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Step 3 Ladle soup into serving bowls. Top with a dollop of yoghurt, dutch carrots, almonds and reserved carrot fronds. Season and serve.