This month we’re eating fab and spending less with our delicious magic mince recipes. Cottage pies, pasta, meatloaf and burgers – all with a twist. (Try our pork and chorizo orecchiette with mozzarella and chilli flakes recipe below).
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 500g pork mince
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 125ml white wine
- 700g passata (tomato puree)
- 500g dried orecchiette pasta or penne
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 chorizo (250g), thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 220g tub cherry bocconcini (mozzarella), torn
- Dried chilli flakes, to serve
- Basil leaves, to serve
Put 1 Tbsp of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pork, onion, garlic and oregano, then cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon until browned. Season. Pour in wine and bring to the boil; simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed, then stir in passata. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook orecchiette following packet directions in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain well and add to mince mixture along with parsley.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan over high heat and cook chorizo for about 5 minutes, stirring until golden brown. Stir chorizo into pasta.
Serve pasta topped with bocconcini, chilli flakes and basil.
For more delicious recipes, don’t miss the June issue of Better Homes and Gardens, on stands now!