When reptiles are more active in summer, snake bites are a common pet emergency.
The survival of your pet depends on the snake type, bite location, amount of venom injected and how quickly the anti-venom is administered.
Signs your pet has been bitten by a snake
Signs of a bite include shaking or twitching of the victim’s muscles, difficulty blinking and breathing, hind limb weakness followed by collapse, loss of bladder and bowel control, vomiting, paralysis, salivation and enlarged pupils. If your dog or cat shows signs of a bite, keep it calm, and get to the vet immediately. The animal has a better chance of survival the earlier it receives anti-venom treatment. Recovery can take two days or longer, depending on the severity of the bite.
How to prevent pet snake bites
To help prevent snake bites and an expensive anti-venom treatment, keep your dog on a lead and your cat indoors. Stay away from high grass and rocks where snakes like to rest, and remove piles of wood where they love to hide. Be ready with a list of local vets that stock anti-venom.